Compare what you currently have with what John Riha identifies as “The 9 Features of an Ideal House,” on Houselogic.com. These nine features not only make a home more enjoyable, but also add value — always a perk.
Here they are:
1. One Floor Living — single stories are easier to maintain and temperatures are easier to regulate.
2. Nine Foot Ceilings — 65% of respondents to a National Association of Home Builders survey said they prefer 9 ft. ceilings over 8 ft.
3. Southern Exposure — solar gain in winter, excellent for solar panels and plants/gardens.
4. Outdoor Living Spaces — decks and patios are desirable to home buyers and have high return on investment.
5. Maximized Insulation
6. Separate Master Bedroom
7. Low-Maintenance Exterior — vinyl siding and fiber cement are two good options.
8. Great Storage
9. Ergonomic Touches — like wide doorways, levers instead of doorknobs, curbless shower, rocker light switches